Sunday, February 25, 2007

On Something

Most of my initial posts on this blog are going to be based on very specific topics. These topics are generally hot button topics that are fodder for argument on TV, radio and in the office.

The first "On" topic for this blog is 'being right'. It is an interesting thing being right. It is something we all think we are, but are often unsure or unable to verbalize what we are right about.
I've often said "Everything I believe is right." I stand by that statement. Everything I do believe is correct. If it wasn't correct I wouldn't believe it. I would change my mind and believe something else. Then, again, everything I believed would be correct.

When I tell people this, they often think me smug. "How can you say that?" they would ask. To which I reply, "What do you believe, fundamentally believe, that is incorrect?" Generally I get a hem or a haw from this, but think about it. What is it that you believe is wrong? A better question is: If it's wrong, why do you believe it?

You see, when I tell people this, they think it's the same as me saying that I'm right and they are wrong. Also, it can be thought that my believing I'm right makes me inflexible or narrow minded. Neither can be further from the truth!

First, my believing in something is never contingent upon what others believe. In a real sense, I doesn't matter to me what people believe (other than my family and a few select friends). Whether or not you are right or wrong in your beliefs is irrelevant to why or how I believe.

Second, and this may be hard to believe but it is true, if you can convince me that something I believe is wrong, then I WILL change my mind. My goal isn't in being inflexible or thinking that I am perfect. No, my goal is to be right in everything I believe. If I am convinced to be wrong then I will change. At which point, I can say again, that I am right about what I believe.

So, I'm right. The cool thing is, so are you. However, when our opinions disagree, that is where the fun begins.

No comments: