Friday, February 23, 2007

A Simple Philosophy

Hello World!
This is my first attempt at political blogging. In it, I'm going to write about topical issues, such as the War in Iraq, politics and society at large.

To bin me into a party would be difficult. I have, recently, voted Republican and could probably be considered a fiscal republican. However, I'm not even near being Republican on most social issues.

If asked, I'd say I'm some kind of libertarian. Not one of those nutty libertarians that smoke dope, join militias and ignore state speed limits. No. More like what I understand as a Jeffersonian Liberal.

I believe that the government should stay out of our lives and our wallets, and I mean it. Tons of people say that, but don't mean it.
Right wingers want government out of our lives, but they think that people can't be trusted with their own judgment or bodies (re: illicit drugs, prostitution, and abortion).
Left wingers think that people should be left to their own devices but only some of the time and only some people (re: right wing radio should be balanced, rich people should be taxed higher, and businesses are mostly evil).

I kinda think that, in part, both have decent ideas. Neither follows through with them, and neither have the courage of their own convictions.

Over the course of this blog, I'd like to discuss these ideas, philosophies and beliefs.

To sum up, my political beliefs can be boiled down to a simple statement: Never vote for a tax increase; and never, ever, under any circumstance trust a draft dodger!

No comments: